Saturday, 13 September 2008

How Many Blogs Should You Have?

I was recently reading a post on someone's blog. I can't remember the exact words, but it was something to the effect that if you have more than one blog when you are beginning, then that's a recipe for failure.

I think I would only agree with that if you don't have the time. If you have a full-time job and you blog only in your spare time, then, yes, I don't think you'll have much time to maintain more than one blog at the required standard.

However, if you have the time and if you want to start making money at some point, then I think you should definitely have more than one blog.

The basic thing that you need to see is whether the subject of each blog is something which you can quite comfortably write about continuously for the long-term. I just started a few months ago, and I looked at what there was that I could blog about. I didn't really think about what niche I should get into - pretty much all the niches have been covered as far as I can see, and even if there are some not fully covered, could I comfortably blog about them?

So I decided what I could blog about long-term - even permanently, if necessary - and started.

I have 6 blogs at the moment and there are 2 main reasons for this -
- There is minimal income going to be coming in to begin with, so at least multiply this to make it something more worthwhile.
- I didn't know which of the blogs would be successful, so it's a kind of trial to find out what went well and to build on it.

My Authentic Greek Recipes blog was set up because my wife is an expert cook and we live in Greece. There are loads of cooking blogs out there, but it's something we know about and can develop. I tend to focus more on everyday recipes from here in the country, rather than more"classic" ones. The advantage of this blog is that there are lots of food communities, where you can find targetted traffic, and even in Entrecard with its "flash" traffic, there are many bloggers who are also genuinely interested in the subject.

The blog has just been given a Google Page Rank 3 after a few months and traffic from search engines is about 40% of total traffic.

I live in Corfu, so it was logical to blog about it in some way. I am well-informed about real estate and hotels on the island, so I set up 2 blogs - Corfu Property and Corfu Holiday Accommodation - which are basically information blogs. The positive side of these blogs blogs is that when targetted traffic builds up, the AdSense ads especially are completely geared to what they are looking for. The down side is that they are not really suitable vehicles for PPP type sponsored posts - though my intention is to create sponsored posts and ads directly from local sources once the traffic is up to acceptable levels.

I created Corfu Chronicles to allow myself the "license", if you like, to write about just anything I wanted - whether it be about Corfu itself or something else I'd like to talk about. I felt it was important that I had this kind of outlet.

Daily Joke is really there just to see how it goes.

The last blog I set up was this one - Money From Nothing. I needed the outlet to write about making money online and also a means of getting my own share of the income from the huge community of money-making bloggers out there.

At the moment, I'm trying to think about anything else that I could comfortably blog about, to increase and develop my "stable". If and when I come up with anything, I'll be sure to let you know!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails