Monday, 26 January 2009

Using Blogger

As you can see from the name of this blog, the idea is to find and discuss ways of making money without spending anything. To be honest, this was the main reason I chose Blogger as the platform for my blogs.

I am also not at all a techie, so I needed a platform that could do as much as possible for me as easily as possible. I have discovered, however, in my short blogging history, that most successful bloggers are spending some money for hosting and usually using Wordpress. So I thought to myself, "Will I have to change to another platform at some point (and spend some money), in order to become successful?" I wanted to check out Today.com, which more and more people seem to be using, but couldn't sign up as they told me it isn't available in my region.

There are advantages in having your own domain name and being just dot com (net, org or whatever) rather than being blogspot.com, but I thought I'd check out to see if any blogs had become successful while being blogspot.

So I checked with the Technorati Top 100, which gives a pretty fair indication of the most successful/popular blogs at this time. There are in fact 5 blogs there that are using Blogger. Not very many, and in fact if you discount 2 of them - The Official Google Blog and Google Operating System (The Unofficial Google Blog) - there are only 3. 3 out of 100 is not many, but it still shows that it is possible to have a blogspot address and be popular. One of those blogs is in fact at number 15 (at the time of writing) and has had over 210 million visitors - PostSecret.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out. I'm happy with Blogger up to now, but perhaps at some later date when I feel more confident and am more experienced, I will look at the issue again and decide whether to continue with Blogger or have a revamp.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails