Saturday, 14 February 2009

Should You Write Paid Posts?

When I started blogging, one of the ways I thought I was going to make money was by writing paid posts. There are a lot of bloggers out there who make a regular income - however small it may be - from writing posts about products or services.

Now I'm not so sure. I think it's fine for those that can and want to do it, it's whether I want to do it that I'm not sure about.

Ideally, I would like to write about something that I know and would confidently recommend whether or not I was being paid to do so. It would also need to be relevant to the purpose and content of the blog. I have signed up for most of the middlemen companies that provide opportunities for you to get paid to write about products and services, but quite honestly, I don't feel comfortable about posting about most of the products.

I don't know most of them and I certainly haven't tried them, so how can I write about them? If there was something that I had tried or looked into and I thought it was worth writing about then I would do so, but I don't use diet, pharmaceutical etc products. The other thing is that you get lots of bloggers suddenly blogging about the same things. I remember a short while ago, for example, when so many of the blogs I visited had a picture of a pair of eyeglasses and a write-up about them. How many of them had actually bought a pair of these glasses or at least, knew that they were a good product to recommend?

A while ago I wrote a post about the ProBlogger book. This wasn't a paid post - I will make some money if people buy the book through my post - but I had obtained and read the book and was giving my actual opinion about it.

I know. I know. People are going to say that you are losing a source of regular income if you don't do paid posts, but I feel (and this is just my feeling, I have nothing at all against people who do paid posts - I just won't spend a lot of time reading their posts) that I would prefer to build up a blog in the long run that has the best content that I can produce. This will eventually create a good base of people who are actually interested in your blog.

What do you think?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails