Friday, 8 May 2009

Learning From The Pros 2

This is basically a follow-up to my post about the 31 Days to Build a Better Blog. The month-long course run by ProBlogger finished a few days ago and I feel I definitely benefited from it. Some of the points presented I was already aware of, but they helped me focus on learning from them in a clearer and more defined manner.

I have selected 5 particular points that helped me. Obviously I'm not going to just copy here what was said about them, but just mention how I relate to them.

Spend some time on a successful blog in your niche.

When I first started this blog I wrote a post about Learning From Other Blogs, but on this course it defined more clearly how we could learn from the Content, Design, Reader Engagement, Monetisation, Traffic and SEO of a successful blog in whatever our niche is.

Learn From Successful Bloggers.

For this particular lesson we were directed to specific posts from 10 very successful bloggers. Another great way of learning.

Looking at your blog’s statistics/metrics package to see what you can learn from it.

Presumably we all look at our statistics, but this lesson showed us analytically what to look at, why, and what to do with the information. This is something I'm not so familiar with and it was a great help.

Interlinking previously written posts in your archives.

This again was something I wasn't really familiar with. Going to some of your older posts and interlinking between them, thus helping SEO and page views as well as increasing usefulness to your readers. I have been trying more consciously now to create links between posts.

Create a 'sneeze page' for your blog.

I think this is a great idea. Creating a post which includes several links to other posts you have made. One way I found to put this into practice was a post on my Authentic Greek Recipes blog where I created a post - Greek Vegetarian Meal - which put together several recipes previously posted into a recommended full meal. There were links to each of the dishes included in the meal.


All in all, I found it a useful learning opportunity and I need to take as many of these opportunities as possible until I become successful. And even then, I'm sure that the learning never stops.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails